Friday 21 December 2018

The Winter Solstice has arrived

It's here! The shortest, darkest day. We just have to push through this and on the other side the days will be getting longer. My thoughts turn to Spring, new life, sun on my face, a fresh start (though heaven for-fend, I shall not be thinking of New Year resolutions!). No. In fact my thoughts turn to pre-Spring and the anticipation of Spring, the days getting ever so warmer, brighter and heralding the joy of bird song, seeds arriving in the post, snowdrops and the trees just showing their tight green buds. This is the start....

A Poem for the Winter Solstice 

I go into the world and can't know if there is enough time.
To both begin and end.
To see everything I wish to.
On the shortest day I walk further inside than out.
I go in the knowledge that the light will fade to a still point and be gone.
That I will walk back, unseen even by myself.
Fumbling for the keys to home.
It is unnerving to outlive summer.
It is true that here I stand exposed by the bare limbs of my heart.
But I say I can be comfortable in what newness will appear.
Because to be tilted away is also to be tilted toward.
And I mean it.
There is no other bargain to be made with the dark.
I'm at the turning point.
I'm moving back to life.

by Ruth Allen 
(@whitepeak_ruth on Instagram)

It says it all. Have a Happy Winter Solstice, may you soon revel in the light (even if it's just little pockets, like I hope for).
Hugs
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post and poem. Unlike most people I long for lighter mornings rather than evenings.
    I don't do New Year resolutions apart from striving to do less better, especially on the plot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exceedingly grateful that my days of falling out of bed on dark mornings, are behind me. Now I can wait till sunlight, or a least daylight, creeps in around the curtain.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x