Wednesday 16 October 2019

Back on the plot

Two days at the plot, reclaiming it from the weeds and general neglect has given us a boost that was sorely needed - friends we are back in love with allotmenting (or as I keep calling it in my head 'aplotmenting'!?).


** The first day back was Sunday afternoon on the 6th of the month and Andrew planted the garlic! The Solent Wight is in and I have my fingers crossed it will do much better this season. We planted the last lot last April as plug plants and they simply didn't do, maybe because it's best to plant your garlic direct in the autumn and let it get a darn good freezing before it starts to put on the growth in spring.
planting the garlic cloves - A Stubborn Optimist Blog - Carrie Gault 2019
looking good
Andrew got the two espalier apple trees pruned that day too whilst I continued my struggle with reclaiming the plot from the grasp of nature. Honestly I felt unwell and too weak to enjoy the activity and the sight of the place so overgrown and in need of tremendous renovation and filled me with dread. Usually I'm excited by tidying up and improving but that day it all felt so overwhelming.

pruning the apple trees - A Stubborn Optimist Blog - Carrie Gault 2019
pruning the apple trees
No photo, sadly (oh how I tried) but I saw a lovely frog on the plot and there was such bird song and more worms than usual. But my mental health was just too poor - I felt utterly ashamed to be myself even though no one could even see me. Time to go home. (I'm getting panicky even thinking about it)

** On Saturday 12th we were back and I was in fine fettle and ready to work hard! Oh we have exciting plans I so hope we can achieve :)  A new shed, lots of fruiting trees, and a curtain of wonderful native hedges to provide shelter and a sense of a secret garden for me.
the new plan for 2020 - A Stubborn Optimist Blog - Carrie Gault 2019
exciting new plan!
The rain tried to put us off but we simply waited the worst of it out in the car and then got started. Both of us tackled the re-wilding of the plot and by the time it was getting cold and darker we had reclaimed some paths and most of the rotation beds - hoorah! We even had time for a freshly brewed tea there on the plot bench.
stopping for tea - A Stubborn Optimist Blog - Carrie Gault 2019
stopping for tea
The new wee slit paths are being put in so as to facilitate my shortness and inability to reach anywhere near the middle of our beds to harvest or tend to the plants. Incidentally, we brought home a harvest of potatoes, a last sweetcorn cob and some kale :)

harvesting potatoes - A Stubborn Optimist Blog - Carrie Gault 2019
harvesting potatoes
Love and hugs to you all - I hope you will tag along for our renovation journey
Carrie xx

6 comments:

  1. Grow lots of flowers including pot marigolds, cosmos and sunflowers. Good for bees, butterflies and other pollinators, and to cut for a vase at home. Email me if you'd like some seeds. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Flighty i really am hoping to grow many more flowers this year coming. Always have marigolds but think sunflowers and cosmos are an excellent idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keyhole beds - much easier to tend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keyhole beds? I'm so happy to learn they have a name-thank you xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you got lots more done than we have. Our allotment and garden are just so soggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just got to grab the time when you can especially these days when the weather is so unpredictable. Xx

      Delete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x