Monday 25 June 2018

Triumphant Return to the Allotment

As far as I can work out, it was the 31st of May the last time I was at the plot and that wasn't for very long. I think, though my brain is mush, that I merely accompanied Andrew that time whilst he watered some plants. The whole allotment thing hasn't been working out well so far this year for me.

So it is with joy in my heart that I tell you I was there in the blistering heat of Saturday afternoon for an hour and enjoyed taking these photos and weeding the blueberry bed 😃

arriving at the plot - Carrie Gault 2018
This was the plot as soon as we arrived. Andrew had just given the potatoes a darn good watering and was off with his watering can to help some other thirsty plants - I on the other hand decided photos were more important (I felt I needed evidence that I was there, haha).

the plot honeysuckle lives - Carrie Gault 2018
The honeysuckle didn't die! Hooray, it's blooming away merrily at the moment though the leaves look sickly but we really though it was dead a month back.

garlic, sweetcorn, squashes and apples thrive - Carrie Gault 2018
 Before I got started into my self imposed weeding battle I took photos of the great work Andrew has been doing. Getting the sweetcorn and squashes in and looking after the needs of the garlic and apples. 
The ground here is lovely, weed free, friable and the plants are thriving I'm very proud of him!

blueberry bed weeding - Carrie Gault 2018
 So...here is where I took up residence for 45 mins or so, the ground was rock hard and cracked in most of this bed which is why I simply couldn't get any more weeds out. Plus I had to spend ages ripping out grass and untangling weeds from our neighbours plot which had invaded here and wrapped themselves around my precious blueberry bushes. My arms still bare the scratches of thistles and sharp twigs.

ripening blueberries- Carrie Gault 2018
 But it was all worth it as I uncovered so many blueberries that had been fighting for a little sunshine - I am expecting good things from these 2 bushes this year again.

rhubarb, broad beans, beetroot and scallions, climbing beans - Carrie Gault 2018
During my absence Andrew has done wonders with our new rhubarb crowns and they are flourishing in there new home (please ignore the weeds); I'm so glad as the weather has been all over the place and it wasn't easy to find a window to get them in and settled. Now we're in a heat wave and all they want for is water. His beetroots and scallions are also off to a good start especially as they were under a very finely woven net to protect them. I swear these plots have ALL THE PESTS and diseases now after 10 years of use.
He planted out and stringed the broad beans on Saturday and look! don't you love it when your climbing beans start to cling on to their supports by themselves 😄

hubby on the plot - Carrie Gault 2018
So the alarm went off after an hour and I was pooped but happy. The potatoes looked so different and were standing so very erect again. Everything had a final good watering and we left to get a cold drink and plan our hiking adventures - more of that next time...

Much love and best wishes
Carrie x

2 comments:

  1. We just can’t give our plants enough water. I can empathise as far as hard baked cracked earth is concerned. I hope you are betting these blueberries or the blackbirds will move in at the slightest hint is ripening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done it's all looking and sounding good. In this weather an hour is sufficient to keep it ticking over and watered. Happy plotting. xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x