Wednesday 25 July 2018

A good allotment visit

It may well be obvious, to the eagle eyed, that I took my photographs and conducted my review of the Moleskine Garden Journal at the allotment last weekend. Well, there is more to that story - I actually had a good time whilst I was there - that is something that needs to be celebrated so in case you haven't champagne at hand, join me in a warm beverage and let's toast to 24a and ecotherapy.

I weeded the paths around the shed and the main one down the middle of the plot. TWO large plastic trugs worth. It's not like I haven't been doing this regularly but they blooming well grow back as soon as my back is turned. Finally, I also put the broken and rotten twigs from a couple of years ago into the field edging - the insects will love them AND I won't be tripping on them all the time anymore.

Good news -
* Andrew harvested the garlic

* Andrew planted out the leeks (and my sunflowers, not shown here)

* I harvested two buckets of potatoes and boy it truly was like treasure hunting. The used compost went under the apple trees as a mulch, the ground there is baked hard and even cracked as wide as my fist in places.

* The courgettes and squashes are looking good and the sweetcorn flowers have formed

Bad news -
* Bloody Pheasants have been having the time of their lives in our plot! Oh the poor broad beans are in a terrible state, as are the mangetout and the apples. We need to employ someone to live in the shed and scare them away every day - cheeky, rude birds - grrr

* The continued lack of rain and the strong burning sun has wizened the blueberries and turned many of the leaves brown :(

* The sun was too strong to bare and we had to leave earlier than I would have liked....BUT I felt good. Payback would happen later but let's not go there.

Hugs and love to you
Carrie
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Good post and pictures, and pleasing to see that you enjoyed your plot visit. It's mostly looking and sounding good, apart from the annoying bad news.
    happy plotting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, it's very important for me to record these good times as they are few and far between. I'm not even that mad about the bad news, just focusing on the good xx

      Delete
  2. I volunteer at a walled garden in the Yorkshire Dales and they in the past have had issue with pigeons and pheasants - their solution was to hang old cd disks on cord, so they flutter and reflect and frighten off the birds. Which had a degree of success..... It does not work against rabbits (this year's little issue!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we've been fighting these terrors for so many years that people have given up on the cd hangings. They don't seem to work anymore. I don't know what we're going to do. Lucky rabbits aren't a big problem - it could be worse xxx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the ground here too. I have to be careful where I walk as with losing lots of weight lugging watering cans around I could easily slap down a crack and disappear. Shame about the pheasants but glad that you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness I hope you haven't lost too much weight, but built up some muscle. I think we're to get a little rain tomorrow, what a treat! hugs x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x