Thursday 5 July 2018

Conquering 10 more miles of the Ulster Way (Fermanagh)

Thursday saw a the Gault's awake in different rooms! I hate that feeling but although I had had a poor night's sleep, sweet Andrew had barely any sleep at all. Boy it took us a while to get our heads in gear and get the door that morning. Hence, we didn't start on the 10 mile walk until 11am! And guess what? It was even hotter than the day before - 31 degrees and a billion % humidity!
We tried to walk in the shade as much as we could, of course Andrew is in the lead as usual.

For us this was going to be a big loop walk and this view was of the opposite side of the oblong.

 The cute post office we walked by was open - I think tiny post offices like these are vital in rural communities - just loved this (secretly I have always wanted to be a post mistress * blush*)

It was around here however that I started to have a catatonic episode - always scary but Andrew and I always get through them and I AM BLOODY STUBBORN! My hands were contorted, my legs were difficult to control and I couldn't really move my head, only my eyes. This is something I never talk about as I fear it would freak people out but in this case, it didn't become a full blown attack, and after a very difficult 2 hours I was OK again. We stopped a good bit more than usual and I drink little sips of water and took a wee photo each time.

Roadside beauty abounded, yellow and white is the main theme on the verges of Fermanagh roads - taking photographs each time helped to ground me, lucky there were lots!

The side entrance into Florence Court had the most beautiful dogwood in full flower, I felt like I couldn't go on any further (I get like that when the end or a break is in view, ahaha)

After a lunch stop which saw us have 2 coffees, 2 lemonades and 2 glasses of water each! We were ready to hit the trail again, fresher than before

 A hidden carpenter's workshop on the grounds that we had never seen before

After a beautiful walk through some of the National Trusts' property we saw this sign, Andrew's finger shadow points the way!

 There was open ground and views all around but then we came to this gorgeous hidden path, which was on our route but not many people would walk around here. It was blessed relief from the heat and we even had to climb up and over and across a very old bridge.

 After more open ground Florence Court said a sort of farewell to us as we went on to it's forest trail/ Cuilcagh way/Ulster way. NB. The Ulster Way man isn't wearing a backpack but the wee afternoon walker is??

This was a glorious part of the path and certainly good for the soul, a mainly fir tree plantation but with some wonderful huge native honeysuckle bushes, irises about to flower and high-sided mossy embankments with many ferns.

Just before leaving this forest we came to a fairy glen (a place where fairies are wont to live)

Back on to open roads again - can you spot the cow in this photo??

Beautiful farm life and landscape views - I adore these small haystacks

These sheep kept us company and guided us to the Marble Arch Caves Geopark, by this point however the tarmac was melting and Andrew had loads stuck in the treads of his shoes.
We did go into the Geopark, which is now an UNESCO site but we didn't go down into the caves on a tour - maybe next time. Instead we simply made good use of the cafe and bathroom facilites :)

We did however, have the pleasure of the 'Marble Arch Marlbank National Nature Reserve' which was part of our trail and free too. Here we saw the world famous Marble Arch and saw/felt the incredible air and water that was ascending from deep underground - it was magical.

 Down at the river level there were many a beautiful spot to see and plants were abundant. Plus these fabulous 'Cascade Waterfalls' - it was so very cooling to stand there that is was difficult to walk on :)

Lastly, this was the rest of the walk, to the end of our loop - how perfect is that! At the end there were simply a few kilometres to our cottage :)

If you made it this far without falling asleep - hurrah! I am sorry there are so many photographs but for one reason or another I just couldn't stop taking them and I have only put a fraction up here, hahaha. I am really quite proud I managed these 10 miles, it was not easy especially at the start and end with the mental health problems but I DID IT.

Hugs
Carrie

Websites:
Florence Court
Marble Arch Caves Geopark

9 comments:

  1. Wow - never mind the heat, the health problems and the distance! What a walk - actually seriously thought - a walk in the heat we have been having recently in itself is quite a task - not surprised you drank your weight in coffee, water and lemonade! Thank you for sharing, lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, thank you for your comment you angel. It wasn't easy but definitely do-able with time. I think the real challenge was the heat as I am not good with it and my hubby is ginger! Next week we have even longer to walk and lots more to carry but we are looking forward to it. In saying that - a wee bit of luck wouldn't go amiss, hahah xx

      Delete
    2. As a fellow red head - tell him to slap on the suntan lotion!

      Delete
    3. He does! Factor 50 with 5 star uv protection all the way. He's got me doing it too :)

      Delete
  2. Good post and pictures. Sorry to see that you had a 'episode' Being that hot and humid I would have chickened out and had a lazy day instead. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flighty, the 'episode' was very frightening and the heat almost unbearable but Andrew pushed me through :) There were definitely times when I would gladly have taken a lift, haha.

      Delete
  3. Wow. You've caught some utterly mesmerizing views. And lovely details. I bet you'd make a lovely postmistress :-) Those roadside images... And the glorious dogwood... sigh. I wonder if the heat contributed to your episode. So glad Andrew was close to help you through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! That means a lot coming from you - you're a fabulous photographer!! The heat may have been a factor in the episode but sadly they are happening more often these days. Never mind though - I'm tough and with Andrew, I have the best support :)

      Delete
  4. Just reading about that has me heading for another glass of water.
    Well done, huge respect to you.
    And what bliss it must have been to walk the shady stretches and near the water.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x