Friday 23 November 2018

[Hobbies] Keeping me going right now

I find these past months that it is almost impossible to sit and watch TV to take my mind off things, and boy does my mind wander. I feel that I NEED to be doing things all the time, until I get so tired I need a nap. The darkness does it. I hate the dark days in particular; these darker nights are bad too but when you need the 'big light 'on in the middle of the afternoon, gosh, it feels like the world is ending.

So I have taken to hobbies in a much more serious way. Sadly my good intentions to write more here are not yet (I stress, yet) coming to fruition but I am at least coming up with more ideas.


BOOKS
books - C. Gault 2018
I have always LOVED books. Oh, the joy in escaping life and reading a story about about some other people and getting lost in their adventures.
At the moment I am reading 'A Man Called Ove' and have 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' lined up as well as Dante's Inferno.. I love a good mix. Recently I also received a lovely book called 'The Wellness Garden' - which is the book I was supposed to write! haha It's all about ecotherapy, in the garden, allotment and out on walks....

CROSS STITCH
cross stitch - C. Gault 2018
This is an old past time that I have just come back to and I am a little addicted. I've done 2 samplers already, one with my own twist, one of two secret pieces, plus I'm in the middle of a crazy Van Gogh piece too. I love it, it's hard work with the old double vision but I'm one for taking on a challenge and internally yelling "take that double vision" usually with a naughty cuss word added *blush*

(HYGGE) DECORATING
decorating - C. Gault 2018
I seem to be mentioning this every winter now like a broken record but 'hygge' is a huge help to me. I love the ritual of getting my candles and the various holders out of storage and placing them around the living room and getting new batteries for my fairy lights - bliss.

This winter we have gone a good bit further and are redecorating the dinning room - making it what we always hoped but haven't got around to. It's funny how you end up settling for second best...
I recommend freshening up some paint, decluttering, getting flowers (even fake ones) for a vase and adding to your bookcase - second hand book shops rock!. Little things make big impacts at this time of year.

YOGA or WALKING
Moving about and not getting stuck on the sofa the whole day (like I do somedays) is very important. Doing housework can count as exercise but what I am talking about here is time, private time for you and your body to have a little dialogue and share a little love.

Easy yoga videos are available online for free and you don't need to be bendy to do them - the point is that you work with yoga to get more flexible and not just do the stuff because you already are!

Then there's the walking, be it anywhere, in the hills, round the street you live in - nosy about you, get that heart pumping harder, feel the cold air and then, ohh, a cosy house upon return.

PENPALING/ POSTCROSSING
snail mail - C. Gault 2018

This is old school these days, I wonder in fact if many young people know how to handwrite a letter or send a proper paper postcard. Plus, it breaks my heart, but a few years ago my favourite Post Office closed down and now there is a piddling wee thing tucked into a local Spar shop instead AND our stamps are totally wick compared to other parts of the world.
BUT
I love to write letters to my penpals and Postcrossing is so much fun, I urge you to check it out. Send a postcard to someone random out of the whole world and get one back from another totally random person. They are usually lovely postcards of where they live and they tell you a little about their life - interesting!

JIGSAWS
jigsaws - C. Gault 2018
Yes I know this may sound a little lame, but if all else fails ( and I am truly sick) - I do love a jigsaw. I'm extremely particular about what type I like and how big they are allowed to be though, none of those with loads of sky or heaven fore-fend - I once saw a plate of baked beans as a puzzle! - nightmare.

Whatever you have that keeps your brain and body active - keep at it and keep those gloomy thoughts and days in check!
Hugs
Carrie

6 comments:

  1. A good post. At this time of year I certainly read more, and do the occasional jigsaw.
    Unless it's raining I generally take a walk round the plot, even if I can't do anything. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Flighty, you wonderful man you. Reading, jigsaws and walking! Hurrah. If I wasn't so terribly afraid to go outside alone I would love to take wee regular trips to my plot and see what's what. Hugs galore to you xxx

      Delete
  2. I quite like jigsaws too. I‘ve actually done the baked bean one. When I was teaching I used to take my class on a week long educational visit. TV was banned for the week and one child brought the puzzle along. They gave up on it so I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing!! You have done the Baked Bean one! I absolutely would have loved you as a teacher - it's the only time I think I would be brave enough to tackle it is with my friends helping and even then... I can't believe anyone ever did it, hahha!

      Delete
  3. Digital jigsaws are not nearly as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And envious of your books ... waiting for our library to reopen. Another 10 days. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x