Friday 13 March 2020

Seedling success (so far)

Seedling success (so far) - a stubborn optimist blog - C Gault.

The world appears to be crumbling around us all with Corvid-19 and to be honest it's all a little bit scary, so let's just remind each other to be safe, to wash those hands and look out for each other albeit from a distance. No more on that topic from me - I think we are a bit saturated with information and what if scenarios...

Instead, as this is an allotment based blog, we should all focus for now on seeds and seedlings and how utterly joyful it is that things are going so very well on that front. At least they are here; I certainly hope they are with you, if indeed you have started.

Happy happy us we have the following seedlings:

  • Broad Beans 'the sutton'
  • Cabbage 'greyhound'
  • Spinach 'amazon F1'
  • Beetroot 'boltardy'
  • Spring Onion 'white lisbon'
  • Turnip 'purple topped milan'
  • Radish 'scarlet globe'

newest seedlings- a stubborn optimist blog - C Gault.

It's such a joy to see them all and I especially like this bit of germination when they are just pushing the soil aside and making the final preparations to show themselves :) Even on my darkest mental ill health days - these babies bring a wee smile to my face.

Mangetout
mangetout germinating- a stubborn optimist blog - C Gaul

But all the seedlings are at home, "what news from the plot?", I hear you ask. Oh well I am pleased to inform you that there are buds on the blueberries, purple sprouting broccoli for the harvesting and wonderful forced rhubarb, umm, forcing away!
new buds on the blueberries & harvests of psb- a stubborn optimist blog - C Gault

rhubarb plants, one under forcer - a stubborn optimist blog - C Gault

The garlic and neighbouring tulips are looking super healthy too so we are pleased and aching to get down there and do some of the other many jobs we have in mind.

Happy weekend
Carrie

P.S. Just one thing, say you were to be self isolating for a few weeks - what are your favourite novel recommendations - for a good time? Maybe your all time favourite book? maybe one you just finished? I'm really interested to know. 

Now....

wash those hands!- a stubborn optimist blog - C Gault
HUGS 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Sweetie !
    This all looks so exciting ;-) such is watching new life literally sprout !
    My Garden PA bought me 3 new pruners .. I have loads of new garden gloves .. I ordered 2 more birdhouses (where they will go I have no idea but I couldn't help myself ?) .. Spring fever is rolling on no matter what virus is hatching .. you are right about being saturated with too much news about it.
    My book ? ... I have read all of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series .. and reread the last one so I will be fresh for when ever she releases the new one .. #9 .. which was supposed to be out last year .. hump!! LOL .... I hope you are feeling better and that your yoga frog is keeping you company ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh how great, you have many new gardening essentials! I'm going to make some new bird boxes this year for next year - super important!
      Thank goodness for spring fever! The only fever I want to catch.
      Never read a Outlander book but cool to know there are loads if you like the style!!
      Love you, froggy is happily settled in xxx

      Delete
  2. It's all looking and sounding good. I'm growing the same broad beans but will be sowing direct. Happy plotting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall make sure to bring a tall pile home from the library - while I still can.
    Otherwise, I have an awful lot of Going to Read One Day books on my shelves, so shouldn't run out.

    One emerging bud of Nerine sarniensis cheers this day for me!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x