Friday 17 April 2020

The allotment patio

Hello, gorgeous people! *waves* and welcome to this special outdoors blog post live from my patio :) I sit here with a coffee in the sunshine with Toby and Andrew (who is working from home).

allotment patio - a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

I hope you are well and keeping safe and sane in this weird quarantine period. It's actually not that bad really, is it? We have to stay at home with our TVs and books and blankets to do battle with this horrid virus. It could be a lot worse I guess. (OK I know it's Hell for some and I'm sorry xx)

lettuces, beetroots, chard, celery etc out in the greenhouse - a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

So the mini allotment here is growing really well and I so happy to see the seedlings everyday slowly getting bigger and stronger in the mini greenhouse. The ones that are planted out are looking great and personally I would like to have these vegetable pots and flower pots every year - it looks so lush and green out here!

allotment patio with pots full of goodies- a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

Beside me we have growing cabbages, coriander, radishes, turnips, spinach, beetroots, potatoes, leeks, spring onions, carrots, broad beans and peas! We came up with a fab idea for the potatoes in fact (I'm sure others have thought of this before but it excites us) - putting them in pots as usual and growing multi plugs of spring onions on top = a champ pot ;)

allotment patio grow bag of spinach and beetroot - a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

The first crop of radishes will be ready in a about a week - they are so rewarding to grow, I'd forgotten all about them over the past years but you get a crop in no time at all and they are so pretty. We have a heck of a lot so it's just as well we like their feisty peppery taste.

I have also just noticed that the broad beans have tiny flowers appearing and the mangetout peas are starting to cling unto the trellis behind them - you notice every little detail everyday instead of every week and it's utterly charming. I recommend this to everyone if you have even the smallest outdoor space - pots, grow your veg in pots and you can even add colour with marigolds!

fresh new beech leaves- a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

I'm also noticing more of the joyous springtime changes that happen in the garden too. Since the start of the week the beech hedge has become greener every day, dropping its brown leaves and letting the new green leaves unfurl - its beautiful. The acers and the maple leaves are opening like paper fans and god grief there are so many hover flies and bees - I never noticed before - oh and the bird song!

Tulip pots -

tulip pots, primulas and the water feature -  a stubborn optimist blog - C. Gault 2020

 We've already had a beautiful flush of daffodils and after these blooms there are alliums to come.

Things continue at the allotment plot too but I'll save that for another post.
What's happening with you these days?

Virtual hugs 
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post and pictures. I agree that it's not too bad, and thankfully my daily routine hasn't changed very much. Everything looks to be doing well on your plot patio.
    I'm plotting and blogging on as usual, as well as doing plenty of sofa flying reading.
    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a boring garden around our last Swiss flat, with a long beech hedge. But I remember vividly the joy of those leaves changing across the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve lots of tulips in pots this year too. We have a few veg planted ar home but are still managing to keep going to the allotmrnt..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The allotment patio looks AMAZING !! .. and your gorgeous pots with flowers/bulbs ... how beautiful is that!
    We are fine here .. except for the absence of GOLF .. but I have great books that I am reading .. one by a Japanese author called 1Q84 .. love it ! ... weather is so slowly improving, so I hope to be in the garden soon ... the weeds are calling ? LOL .. Glad to see such a pretty post with all the doom and gloom in the world right now .. stay safe and healthy sweetie !
    HUGS ... Joy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x