Monday 16 September 2019

The Carntogher History Trail

Hiking the Carntogher history trail - photo by Andrew Gault for 'A Stubborn Optimist' blog

"Carrie, thy name is Vanity!" I rebuked myself out loud...
Why was I was wearing foundation on my face whilst out hill-walking? That's not me. Dear friend, lashings of factor 50 was what I needed on this gorgeous and sweaty day. But then I only realised that when we were half way up this strenuous mountain climb battling through waist high flax and bog.

OK, it was actually just a gorgeous big hill with some dodgy mucky areas, then an old cobbled carriage road under foot; perfect for my first hike in months. It was just that the sun was blazing, there was no shade and my hip hurt...


Welcome to the Carntogher area near Maghera (County Londonderry), a very important archaeological and environmental area with the best ever views of our wonderful countryside. The walks there are signposted by a local group called 'An Carn' and facilitate 'a greater understanding of our past and [tracing] man's impact on the local environment from the neolithic period to the present day.'
(Their logo is also in the shape of the hill we climbed :))

Carntogher history trail photo 1 - Carrie Gault - A Stubborn Optimist blog
All was flat as we started our ascent

Carntogher history trail photo 2 - Carrie Gault - A Stubborn Optimist blog
Getting right up to the top and looking back

Carntogher history trail photo 3 - Carrie Gault - A Stubborn Optimist blog
A a bronze age cyst on the way down :)

Carntogher history trail photo 4 - Carrie Gault - A Stubborn Optimist blog
Gorgeous old farms and abandoned farm houses along the way

Carntogher history trail photo 5- Carrie Gault - A Stubborn Optimist blog
Very quiet country roads for miles

Love and hugs
Carrie

8 comments:

  1. Well you never know who you may meet well you never know who you may meet do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - you are so right, thank you Sue. I did in fact meet 4 gentlemen and (4 dogs) and a lady must always but looking respectable :)

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you out and about again making the most of the good weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you for testing yourself out again with the hikes sweetie ;-)
    I know it is a struggle .. but you are a warrior inside whether you think it or not !
    What gorgeous pictures of such a beautiful ancient area .. it breaths history and nature at it's best.
    I loved seeing this .. thank you !
    Take care sweetie !
    Joy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Joy. I have to write to you soon, I keep forgetting, sorry!
      It was a very special place and though I pretend to complain about the weather, it was perfect and we couldn't have had a better time. Hugs xxx

      Delete
  4. Wide brimmed hat and sunscreen for me ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise lady! I always wear a baseball cap AND factor 50 just not that day *rolls eyes* x

      Delete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x