Tuesday 1 October 2019

September's plot visit

I come today to my blog with a confession - I only visited the allotment plot once this past month! *you all point and say "shame" at me* But at least I went, right? And it got me feeling bad and wanting to work harder over the winter to have a better growing year this time round :)

We are going to plant more trees on the plot and more flowers in the hedgerow for the fabulous bees. It's rather exciting. First we need to clear and cover the beds and gather seaweed and other organic soil improvers and plan, plan, plan! Oh and how I would love a new shed, but alas we can't have everything.

Anyway that visit saw us clear one bed and gather a pretty surprising harvest. Please enjoy the story through the magic of my photos.....

The plot from the far end looking back at Andrew 
and Toby

A BEFORE of bed 1 😟

AN AFTER of bed 1 😀

Toby doing a stop check on the apples we harvested

Most of the harvest before the heavy rain came 

Yep, we got thoroughly poured on just as we have finished the first bed clearance and gathered up what we could as a harvest from across the plot. I have some nicer photos of our wee harvest though....
The loveliest squashes, only a few apples but they were wonderful with our bounty of damsons in a couple of crumbles :) And we ate a good lot of the potatoes and scallions with the climbing beans for dinner!

I mean I know it's not great and you aren't sitting there gobsmacked, but I should remind you that in comparison to the work put in this was a lot of good tasty food.

We were away all weekend camping and walking and I look forward to sharing that soon. I hope you are all happy and have your bulbs picked, if not planted already - our garlic arrived today, hooray!

Love and hugs from (a sleepy)
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. I've bought lots of spring bulbs especially tulips and am waiting for a fine day so I can plant them. Gave a good break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweetie and thanks for stopping by .. we were having the same thoughts which sent a chill up my spine.
    I had thought all this past winter/summer, that I would try harder to get more done in the gardens and I would have an easier Fall .. but alas I missed out on the type of compost (sea material) at the store I shop .. they sold out .. I haven't worked in the garden in ages .. going through a bad spot .. rather depressed about it all. But your cheery visit helped me not feel so alone, or so badly about my failures ... thank you! .. and a huge WOW ! on your accomplishments and bounties from the plot !! Well done you !!
    Take care .. hugs ... Joy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you plotting again. It looks like a good harvest.
    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those squashes are worth growing for looks alone (eating the evidence is a bonus!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x